Victoria's 10-year Mental Health Plan, which was released in November 2015, sets out the long-term vision over the next decade, including:
- better health and wellbeing;
- reducing the prevalence of mental illness;
- reducing suicide rates; and
- providing better access to and choice about services for people with a mental illness.
To learn more about the development of the Mental Health Plan, including the discussion and technical papers that informed the final plan and to access VICSERV's submission to the discussion paper click here.
As well as, and in some cases as part of, the Mental Health Plan, the Government has committed to:
- A whole-of-government suicide prevention framework, providing a commitment and coordinated strategy to reduce the suicide toll
- An Aboriginal social and emtional well-being framework - to provide an integrated approach to Aboriginal mental health
- A mental health workforce strategy
- A comprehensive strategy to divers people with mental illness from the criminal justice system by strengthening pathways to early community treatment and support
- Design, Service and Infrastructure Plan for Victoria's Clinical Mental Health System, providing clear direction for the design, capacity and configuraton of clinical mental health services across Victoria
The Mental Health Plan is closely aligned with Victoria's Mental Health Act 2014, which supports the provision of holistic, recovery-oriented mental health treatment - enabling people with a mental illness to play a central role in decisions regarding their treatment and care.
An expert taskforce has been appointed to guide the implementation of Victoria's 10-year mental health plan.
The taskforce brings together significant depth of experience and expertise and reflects the Victorian Governments ongoing commitment to work with the mental health sector, and people affected by mental illness to achieve better outcomes for all Victorians.
The Mental Health Plan also commites the government to report annually to parliament and community on mental health services. Victoria's mental health services Annual Report 2015-16 was tabled in parliament in November 2016.
The Victorian Government is also working closely with the Commonwealth in the rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme, which emphasises individual choice and control for people with psychosocial disability support needs.